Dedications: My four late friends Rory, Stan, Bryan, Jeff - shine on you crazy diamonds, they would have blogged too. Then theres Garry from Brisbane, Franco in Milan, Mike now in S.F. / my '60s-'80s gang: Ned & Joseph in Ireland; in England: Frank, Des, Guy, Clive, Joe & Joe, Ian, Ivan, Nick, David, Les, Stewart, the 3 Michaels / Catriona, Sally, Monica, Jean, Ella, Anne, Candie / and now: Daryl in N.Y., Jerry, John, Colin, Martin and Donal.

Monday 8 December 2014

Donna: de luxe and re-issued

I am delighted to finally have a cd of Donna's 1982 album titled "Donna Summer", the one produced by Quincy Jones - and a de luxe, remastered edition too, in a book format, with copious notes and extra versions of "Love is in Conrol" and "State of Independence". This for me is Donna's best later album and has been unavailable on cd for a long time. The album with Quincy Jones is one of my favourite 80's albums that never sounds dated and Donna's voice sounds amazing.  

"Love is in Control" was the first song I heard on a friend's Sony Walkman, so I had to dash out and get my own one - it still sounds terrific now, and I love her version of the Billy Strayhorn classic "Lush Life".

Its part of a 6 cd boxset, but the albums are available singly at a good price. Looks like Donna is back in favour again ... It was also good to get Grace Jones' seminal album "Nightclubbing" also in that de luxe re-mastered format with lots of extra tracks, earlier this year - Grace Jones label - and Diana Ross's Chic album "Diana". 

No comments:

Post a Comment