Dedications: My four late friends Rory, Stan, Bryan, Jeff - shine on you crazy diamonds, they would have blogged too. Then theres Garry from Brisbane, Franco in Milan, Mike now in S.F. / my '60s-'80s gang: Ned & Joseph in Ireland; in England: Frank, Des, Guy, Clive, Joe & Joe, Ian, Ivan, Nick, David, Les, Stewart, the 3 Michaels / Catriona, Sally, Monica, Jean, Ella, Anne, Candie / and now: Daryl in N.Y., Jerry, John, Colin, Martin and Donal.

Wednesday 9 November 2011

Showpeople: Stars at shows


When in London in 1956 for THE PRINCE AND THE SHOWGIRL Monroe and Miller attended the opening of his play A VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE at the Comedy Theatre, causing a commotion. They also attended that historic first production of John Osbourne's LOOK BACK IN ANGER at the Royal Court - I saw the photo in some Marilyn book, or maybe an Arthur Miller book? but I can't find it now.










Also at the Royal Court, in 1959, were Kay Kendall and Lauren Bacall - I wonder what they were seeing? They don't seem to be enjoying it ...

I did see Arthur Miller in his later years when he was signing a new book of his at Hatchards bookshop in 1995. There was of course a huge crowd and we were instructed not to speak to him or ask him any questions, but I got a signed copy of "Plain Girl"!

No comments:

Post a Comment