Dedications: My four late friends Rory, Stan, Bryan, Jeff - shine on you crazy diamonds, they would have blogged too. Then theres Garry from Brisbane, Franco in Milan, Mike now in S.F. / my '60s-'80s gang: Ned & Joseph in Ireland; in England: Frank, Des, Guy, Clive, Joe & Joe, Ian, Ivan, Nick, David, Les, Stewart, the 3 Michaels / Catriona, Sally, Monica, Jean, Ella, Anne, Candie / and now: Daryl in N.Y., Jerry, John, Colin, Martin and Donal.

Saturday 2 July 2011

Summer Repeats: Movies I Absolutely Love


Summertime and TCM (UK) are finally showing some interesting afternoon double-bills, so its a case of laying out some cold drinks and snacks and enjoying once more items like Minnelli's LES GIRLS followed by Tashlin's ever-delirious THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT. Logically speaking as I have the dvds I can watch these any old time, but if they are on television I simply have to watch them again. There was also a nice double bill of two I don't have and have not seen since I was a kid: BELOVED INFIDEL and THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA. INFIDEL is one of the 3 Kerr made in '59, all very unseen now - I like THE JOURNEY (as per Kerr label), but will we ever get to see again COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS? Deborah and Peck should have been a dream team in '59 (like Greg was with Jean Simmons, Sophia Loren, Lauren Bacall, Ava Gardner) if only the film had been worthy of them.
But it got me thinkiing on all those movies I love and can see any time: not only my top 25 or so movies (Top 50+ movies label) but choice items like: THE RELUCTANT DEBUTANTE, WOMAN'S WORLD, DESIGNING WOMAN, THE OPPOSITE SEX, JUPITER'S DARLING, ANATOMY OF A MURDER, DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES, WILD RIVER. Then there's those recent (re)discoveries of mine like I WAS HAPPY HERE (Sarah Miles label), THAT MAN FROM RIO (Belmondo, Dorleac labels), Visconti's SANDRA or OF A THOUSAND DELIGHTS (Visconti, Cardinale, Sorel labels), THE SEA WALL or THIS ANGRY AGE (Mangano label), and Jayne in the delirious THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT - it will be on to WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER? next!



So,just a few images to remind ourselves of Lady Wren (Kay Kendall label) in court in LES GIRLS, Jimmy Dean in EAST OF EDEN, Lee Remick in WILD RIVER, Kay and Rex and Angela in DEBUTANTE, Sarah back in Ireland in I WAS HAPPY HERE, Belmondo and Francoise Dorleac in THAT MAN FROM RIO, Silvana and Tony Perkins dancing in THE SEA WALL, Jean Sorel and Lilli Palmer in ADORABLE JULIA, Kate in SUMMERTIME, and those striking images from Visconti's SENSO and SANDRA (Sorel, Cardinale, Alida Valli, Visconti labels)...


Then there's all those other favourites, commented on here, like ALL FALL DOWN, THE CHAPMAN REPORT, QUENTIN DURWARD, MOONFLEET, THE PRODIGAL, THE EGPYTIAN, THE WAY TO THE STARS, NOW VOYAGER, OLD ACQUAINTANCE, PLEIN SOLEIL, THE LION IN WINTER, THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE, PANDORA AND THE FLYING DUTCHMAN, SOME LIKE IT HOT, BLACK NARCISSUS, I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING, LA LOI, THE LEOPARD, AMERICAN GIGOLO, THE BEST OF EVERYTHING, and those Lorens, Hitchcocks, Von Sternbergs ... quite a few more "Movies I Love" to write about then!

No comments:

Post a Comment