Dedications: My four late friends Rory, Stan, Bryan, Jeff - shine on you crazy diamonds, they would have blogged too. Then theres Garry from Brisbane, Franco in Milan, Mike now in S.F. / my '60s-'80s gang: Ned & Joseph in Ireland; in England: Frank, Des, Guy, Clive, Joe & Joe, Ian, Ivan, Nick, David, Les, Stewart, the 3 Michaels / Catriona, Sally, Monica, Jean, Ella, Anne, Candie / and now: Daryl in N.Y., Jerry, John, Colin, Martin and Donal.

Monday 27 June 2011

Movies I Love: Modesty Blaise [again]


Starting a week of 'Movies I Love' with that all-time favourite of mine, once again it's MODESTY BLAISE! - (Modesty Blaise, Vitti, Bogarde, Losey labels for more!). After previous posts on Dirk at war and Vitti in LA NOTTE, here they are together in 1966 [they didn't get on very well though....]
Just a selection of stills then - so many of my favourite people in one movie [Michael Craig and Harry Andrews are in there too], even Eurobabe Scilla Gabel - I must get around to writing about her soon too! I was 20 when it came out and went to the premiere hoping to see Monica Vitti, but she was not there - but I saw Dirk with Rosella Falk (Mrs Fothergill) on his arm! [I got to meet him a few years later in 1970]. Vitti and Antonioni took over London in the mid-60s what with this and BLOW-UP... even now that Op Art Mediterranean island is still a delight, and Dirk as Gabriel agonising over lobsters and blowing up that plane as he listens to the pilots' inane chat and of course crying out for "champagne champagne" as he is staked out in the desert .... but some people just didn't get Losey's spoof of the Bonds and spies of the time, this though was the glamour movie of 1966 for 20 year old me!



So, this week then: MODESTY BLAISE, NORTH TO ALASKA (yes, really), JOHNNY GUITAR, A STAR IS BORN and OBSESSION and I WAS HAPPY HERE again too!

1 comment: