Dedications: My four late friends Rory, Stan, Bryan, Jeff - shine on you crazy diamonds, they would have blogged too. Then theres Garry from Brisbane, Franco in Milan, Mike now in S.F. / my '60s-'80s gang: Ned & Joseph in Ireland; in England: Frank, Des, Guy, Clive, Joe & Joe, Ian, Ivan, Nick, David, Les, Stewart, the 3 Michaels / Catriona, Sally, Monica, Jean, Ella, Anne, Candie / and now: Daryl in N.Y., Jerry, John, Colin, Martin and Donal.

Saturday 2 April 2011

Goodbye to all that

Here where I live, just outside London, we have a local litte art cinema run by the local council, a plush 68 seater, which has been ideal in recent years since I discovered it for seeing the best of recent releases [like UNCLE BOONMEE, THE KING'S SPEECH, ANOTHER YEAR, NINE, THE HISTORY BOYS, BROKEBACK etc and revivals [PANDORA!] in comfortable surroundings. I don't think I could go back to the multiplex with kids texting and using their mobile/cell phones .... but all good things come to an end. This little cinema - grandly titled The David Lean Cinema [he was a local boy] closes in a few weeks, due to the current economic climate and cuts imposed on councils. The cinema though is part of the town hall, so it is not like it is a separate building which has to be maintained, so I dare say it cannot save that much, but if libraries and drop-in centres are being cut back, so too are cinemas!

I was there last evening actually, as their closing programme is running some classics and old favourites. It was great to see THE INNOCENTS again then on the cinema screen so one can really appreciate those wide vistas - as per my review at label from last year. I will be popping along again before it closes for my favourite musical THE BANDWAGON on the big screen - bliss with Fred and Cyd and Jack Buchanan - and that new Woody Allen YOU WILL MEET A TALL DARK STRANGER. The closing day appropriately finishes with GOODBYE MR CHIPS and THE LAST PICTURE SHOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment