Dedications: My four late friends Rory, Stan, Bryan, Jeff - shine on you crazy diamonds, they would have blogged too. Then theres Garry from Brisbane, Franco in Milan, Mike now in S.F. / my '60s-'80s gang: Ned & Joseph in Ireland; in England: Frank, Des, Guy, Clive, Joe & Joe, Ian, Ivan, Nick, David, Les, Stewart, the 3 Michaels / Catriona, Sally, Monica, Jean, Ella, Anne, Candie / and now: Daryl in N.Y., Jerry, John, Colin, Martin and Donal.

Friday 29 January 2010

'50s fan magazines

My first love: Picture Show, which I first got in 1959, and then religiously every week. - and of course those American magazines like Movieland & Tv Time, Screen Album etc., with their full page colour pictures of Troy and Sandra and Connie, Sophia, Audrey, Marilyn and then Liz and Eddie and Debbie ....









I loved these small monthly magazines [Fans Star Library, circa 1958, when I would have been 12] on a particular star each month, I had them all once, covering Grace Kelly, Doris, Debbie, Pat Boone, Kim Novak, Jeff Chandler, Rock Hudson, Perry Como, Ricky Nelson, Marilyn, James Dean, Elvis etc. Collectors' Items now ....

a few pages from Dirk Bogarde's Story In Pictures: what the fans devoured in the '50s: no wonder Bogarde loathed it all ! (click image to enlarge).

No comments:

Post a Comment